Sunday, January 4, 2009

"You're so vain, you probably think this [blog] is about you..."



So I guess this is my [unofficial] 100th post! And you all know what that means...

Welcome to my 100 Things post! (Oh dear, what am I getting myself into?)

And to top it off, Amanda of Mandigirl Muses who, by the way, is one of my all-time favorite bloggers (maybe it's partly because you're so, I don't know...honest? and because you really carried me into Blogger!) has offered Think Out Loud its first award, which is called the Honest Scrap Award! What better timing than my 100th post?!

No award comes without its bloggiful duties. The recipient of the Honest Scrap must offer her readers 10 honest things about herself. Yet since this whole 100th post thing only happens once in a blog-life, I'm not going to use the Award as an excuse to list just the required 10. I will include at least 10 good, honest items about myself to fit the award requirement, but the rest will just be random things that come to mind. I will do my best to state things I have yet to mention on my blog (which means you need to go read the previous 99 first - j/k!).

It sounds easy to come up with 100 tidbits, quirks, experiences, traits, preferences, etc. about oneself, but it's not. You get to about #36 and think for sure you've bypassed #60. And from there you just start making stuff up, listing what you ate for breakfast everyday this week, or begin offering TMI, such as to say you shave your armpits every five days (which I do, btw). And for the final 10 you'll state reasons why this will be you're last blog ever. Reader, beware!

So! Let the fun begin! (Seriously, that "You're So Vain" song totally popped into my head at this moment.)


1. I have been wearing a lot of black shirts/sweaters lately. I'm not really sure why. It's just an easy match.

2. My favorite perfume in the whole world is Estee Lauder Pleasures. A woman whose children I used to nanny would come downstairs every morning wafting the scent throughout the kitchen while I'd be getting breakfast ready for the boys. I had to buy it. And it wasn't one of those times where you admire perfume on someone else but it ends up smelling horrible on yourself. It's absolutely lovely.

3. My sinuses are mildly allergic to perfume. Oh, how ironic! I can only wear one half of a squirt on the back of my neck.

4. I get claustrophobic if I'm underwater for a long period of time. I'll jump off the high dive, but not head first or one of those "pencil" dives. Although I still love pools and surface swimming. But funny how things that didn't used to scare you as a carefree child terrify you as an adult. Roller coasters, skiing, and trampoline flips, same thing.

6. As a treat, my mom used to toss my brother and I a handful of mini marshmallows, and we'd scramble to the living room floor picking them up. Not exactly the healthiest of snacks and a sort of unusual feeding method, but a fun novelty I remember from childhood.

7. I've been to the Bahamas. But it was the end of November and chilly. And tragically void of romance.

8. I have this horrible habit of shopping at Wal-Mart just after a work out. That is, in my workout clothes and sweaty, stinky self. It's bad when you can smell yourself and feel like puking. But those poor shoppers. That's right - get outa my way! I can't stand Wal-Mart but I shop there anyway. It's just a sacrifice a frugal has to make.

9. I loved going to church camp as a child. And counseling too!

10. I miss the freaky thunderstorms we got back home.

11. I was stalked for three summers during college. Literally the scariest time of my life!

12. It's settled. God did not install the the multi-tasker gene when he made me. "Oh, and by the way's" completely overwhelm me. I get distracted easily and it's so frustrating! Give me a list.

13. I worked at an indie coffee shop called Brewing Grounds for two months. Loved learning how to make espresso. And I have to say, I prided myself in frothing perfect foam. Yet those two months have ruined me forever. No one can live up to my standard. Hear me: If foam has been made correctly, you should not be able to actually see the bubbles.

14. I refuse to tip a barista, although that has absolutely nothing to do with my stint as one. As much as I love lattes at Fourbucks.

15. I love to play word games like Scrabble, Reader's Digest's Word Power, Balderdash, Scattergories - all of it. Let's play! I once beat my English teacher grandmother at Word Power, and boy, is that a feat!

16. This is fun!

17. I have a hard time maintaining close friendships and I don't know why. (This is as raw and honest as you're gonna get!) Still, I have no trouble making friends. But they remain at arms length. Ugh.

18. My dream job (or so I naively think) is to work - in any sort of capacity - at a news or radio station! (Just not the late night shift.)

19. At age 3 I cut my left index finger off a few centimeters from the tip. I guess I wanted to see what would happen if I stuck my finger in the grate at the top of the mall escalator. Until it got stuck and ripped. (Mmmm, hope you're not eating!) I yanked it out and my fingertip was dangling by a thread of skin. I walked over to my mom (who is excellent at supervising her children!) and said, "Mommy, lookit." She said, "Oh, my!!!" and all I remember is some dude scooped me up and wrapped new white towels from the shelves at Montgomery Wards. I vaguely recall the ambulance ride, but I remember trying desperately to push away the doctor's hands as he tried to administer anesthesia to my finger and sew it up. My finger still bears the scar and sits slightly crooked.

20. I admit it. I like Amy Grant Christmas (Do you remember this?). And Kenny G. And Roger Whittaker.

21. I got to sit in on a PGM "Unshackled" live recording and met announcer Bob O'Donnell and organist Ralph Colburn. Neat experience you don't want to miss if you visit Chicago.

22. I saved a butter container full of agates my friend Jamila and I collected over the span of our childhood years. They were our jewels. Our treasure. We fought sometimes violently over them. "No, I found it first! It's mine!"

23. I'm realizing that adults still possess the same bad attitudes as children. They just hide them behind pride. I work with people at Social Services. The only difference between them and more stable/responsible individuals is that they don't care a lick what people think of them. We do. (We just blog about it.)

24. I always leave a CVS drugstore with sweaty armpits. (I try to give back.)

25. I am stoked about starting up Women's Bible Study again this month with Beth Moore's "Esther"!!!

26. My husband's hands are the same length as mine, except that his fingers are twice as fat! :)

27. Which reminds me of the time he broke my ring finger two months after our wedding! I had to replace my lovely diamond with a bulky metal brace for weeks! (FYI: Never try to catch a football that's filled with too much air. Or switch to Nerf altogether.)

28. I like reading maps. (Ask Jeromy.) I think the dreamer in me gets to imagine visiting different places of the country/world. Note: If you are single and love to travel, become a short-term au pair. You can literally open up a mappage, point to a city and say, "I want to live there." And you will find a job!

29. I have received two speeding tickets in my driving life.

30. I haven't skied since my "bum knee" trampoline accident and surgery in 1999. I'm almost afraid to. But in the meantime, let's go tubing!

30. Sometimes I wonder if I actually have ADD.

31. I got to meet Bob Dole two Christmases ago at Walter Reed Hospital.

32. I wish my emotions controlled me less.

33. I am extremely sentimental.

34. I can't wait to be a mom.

35. I don't own more than three or four pieces of jewelry. I wear a simple necklace until it wears out.

36. I just learned how to pan-sear meat.

37. I "became a woman" on my actual thirteenth birthday. And of all things, I wanted a pool party! I thought the cramps were just butterflies due to excited anticipation. Ha!

38. I will always be a city girl at heart.

39. I don't like the texture of onions.

40. I still own a few mix tapes I made in high school. Tapes.

41. My (and my hubby's) restaurant of choice is Thai Flavor in Waldorf, MD; although, we'll go for just about anything Asian.

42. I eat roughly every three hours.

44. I am anal about washing floors and dusting. Oh, and staying on top of laundry.

45. I was a waitress for one year at Bakers' Square. Not for me. It required too much multitasking! I visited with guests too long so while I made good tips, I could never handle very many tables at a time. Good experience, though.

46. I fell on a beehive when I was four and received over 100 yellow jacket stings. My cousin and I were climbing a tree and I fell off a limb, smashing the nest. They were mad! Good thing neither of us was allergic, and that my cousin's older brother, who is deathly allergic, was in school at the time.

47. I floss and rinse every night. And despite my rigid discipline, still get cavities.

48. I ate my first sweet potato in 2005. And I love them.

49. My husband and I watch Nanny 911 together. Maybe if we expect the worst, parenting will seem a breeze! (haha, yeah right!)

50. My slow cooker is my friend.

51. We had to wear skirts or dresses in college (and although that wasn't my most favorite rule on campus, Pillsbury shut its doors just last week, after 51 years of equipping young adult Christians.) I own a few sundresses, but I think I have just two of the floor-length skirts left, which I still wear from those four years. (They say "freshman 15" on the butt.) And if Clinton or Stacy ever caught me walking down the street in one of them, I'd be handed a $5000 Visa card.

52. I either wanted to be best friends with Punky Brewster, or I wanted to be her! As a little girl I would have done anything to meet Soliel Moon Frye. I remember when she went on Double Dare as a contestant and after the show shook hands with the kids in the audience. I wanted to be there so bad!

53. Unless at the gym, I usually wear some form of clog. Even in the winter. I'm not a shoe queen by any stretch. It's all about comfy.

54. I wish all my family and friends had a Facebook. It's just so stinkin' convenient.

55. I wish it could be Fall all year long. Semi-warm days and cool nights.

56. I never believed in Santa, although I wanted to.

57. My first real babysitting job was when I was eleven. And for a 6 month old baby named Alyssa. I thought it was the best day of my life.

58. I can't relax amid clutter.

59. I love reading aloud to children.

60. Biggest pet peeve ever: drivers who choose not to signal. (Try living in DC!!!)

61. I have the cutest baby niece in the world named Scarlett!

62. I own a pink cell phone.

63. My favorite lattes are Lite White Berry at Caribou and White Mocha at Starbucks.

64. I miss my dad.

65. My favorite candy bar is a Pearson's Salted Nut Roll. It's ok, you've probably never had one.

66. I don't really like tea. Wasn't raised with it.

67. I made lefsa for the first time this year.

68. I typically fall asleep halfway through a movie. It doesn't matter what movie. I even fell asleep watching Prince Caspian in the theater!

69. My hands and feet are usually 10 degrees colder than the rest of my body. Jeromy refers to these appendages as "ice picks".

70. I rarely get sick. (What's the Christian version of "knock on wood"?)

71. I acquired a new love of pistachios this year.

72. I sold wrapping paper for a school fundraiser to an old local news anchor back home, Bud Kraehling. I was so tickled!

73. I don't particularly like savory sweet, such as fruited pork.

74. I wish I could spend more time with my brother's family.

75. Sometimes I miss the pre-gadget 80's. (But you can keep the tunes!)

76. I never dated in high school. (PTL!)

77. I hate to run but I do it anyway.

78. My favorite Disney movie is Aladdin. (Everybody sing it with me, "I can show you the world; shining, shimmering, splendor...")

79. I stand at 5'6 and weigh 144.8 lbs. (I rarely step on a scale but was just curious this morning.)

80. I am sort of afraid of dogs. Well, at least dogs I don't know. It's usually a case of the growl being worse than the bite.

81. We turn off the heat at night during the cooler months. And with our heavy comforter, we don't need it! This is the first winter we've done this, and it's fun to see how much $ we've saved each month!

82. I've never received a french manicure. And my last regular manicure was the day before my wedding. And first pedicure at that! But so nice.

82. I'm contemplating taking a course in transcription.

83. My cousin Sarah is married to Chris Sligh, the frizzy-haired finalist from last year's season of American Idol. What a ride this has been for them! (See video at the end.)

84. I'm still using shampoo I "bought" almost a year ago. And toothpaste. And body wash. And makeup. And.... Thank you, CVS!!!

85. I can't stand feeling overheated after a shower. I always blow dry my hair while standing under the ceiling fan.

86. I will never - I repeat - never lie in a tanning bed again. It was my dirty habit during high school and college, but after that last burn (from new bulbs they forgot to tell me about!) and after seeing my aunt's skin cancer scars, I really mean it this time. Blond hair, blue eyes...yeah.

87. I love fresh water fish but am not a fan of shellfish and other bottom dwellers. I'll eat a crab or two, but please pass the burgers!

88. I remember obscure, random facts and events (my brother does too), but I fail horribly at Trivial Pursuit.

89. I would wear my pajamas all day if I could. (I didn't shower until 4pm yesterday, if that counts.) For the comfort and productivity it provides. I actually used to be the opposite and love to dress up. Marriage does weird things to a person.

90. I like chocolate cake with white icing.

91. I actually own two wedding dresses. Long story. (Though let me just clarify, I only wore one!!!)

92. I keep my closet color coordinated. Just makes life easier.

93. I am addicted to Rita's cotton candy ice. Can't wait for March!

94. I look up to father and grandfather figures in my life. Probably because I never knew my own grandfathers (it was always "Mom's dad" or "Dad's dad") and because my father worked so much. I always hope these figures don't think I'm weird.

95. I started writing stories when I was nine. Maybe I will share one soon.

96. I always choose the ooey-gooey middle-cut brownie, while my husband loves the corner.

97. I was an AWANA clubber from Cubbies up though JV and then worked as a leader throughout high school and college. Youth on the march!!!

98. I never considered Brad Pitt good looking. Still don't.

99. I got my first prescription for glasses this year, but I hardly wear them, though I should.

100. I love meeting people through Blogger and wish I blogged more.



And now I must nominate at least 5 other bloggers to receive the coveted Honest Scrap Award. Remember, each taggee is supposed to post the award picture on his/her blog, followed by a list of 10 - just 10 - honest things about themselves (I only listed 100 because of my 100th post). That's it!

My dilemma is determining at leas 5 bloggers who read my blog on a semi-regular basis! Well I'll tag and see what happens!

Considered yourself tagged (I highly recommend these blogs, btw):

Leslie @ The Late Bloomers
Naomi @ I started the day she laughed
Holly @ As I See It
Kate @ The Accidental Traveler
Heidi @ Minnesota Mom


Below is my favorite American Idol moment from last season. Sarah is glowing!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I love -- absolutely LOVE -- your 100 things post, and I love how you tied it into your very prestigious award. You're one of my all-time favorite bloggers, too.

The other day, I saw a recipe for nut bars and thought of you (because of your FB status update). Salted-But-Roll Bars at www.cuisineathome.com. Don't know how they'd compare to your fave, but might be worth a comparison.

Anonymous said...

Tara, I can;'t see you in person, so here are some responses toyour Top 100:
#10: Me too, but here they are even better(when we get them)-80 mph winds and LOTS of hail.
#14: ME TOO!!!
#18: We could use a good reporter at KNBN-TV
#20: Roger Whittaker--LOVE him!
#28: You have your Mom's "travel genes"!
#30: I remember that!!
#44: Since you are anal about all that, would you come to my house??
#53: CLOGS RULE!! And Southerners just don't understand the clog thing.
#?? Salted nut rolls... have you tried the chocolate ones?? They are GOOD!!
#72: And now you personally know a news anchor! (Chris)
#77: I always wondered why you didn't date...what was wrong with those guys??
#88: Like you dad!
#98: I agree.

Thanks for letting us into your random thoughts and emotions and history...
Laura Orr

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the award—I’ll do my best! And it took me a few days of reading here and there, but finally made it through all 100 today. Comments:

6. I have to admit I laughed at this—it’s rather bizarre!

8. I totally do the same thing. Work out, then go to the grocery store or Target. Gross!

15. Word games ROCK!

65. What? Never had a nut roll? Poor souls!

79. And you are a brave soul to share such things online! I’m not so brave.

The first 82. I’ve never had either, but it sounds very nice.

89. I am still in my pajamas, unshowered, and it is 4:40. Ew.

91. Must tell the story!

96. In an 8x8 pan, that leaves 1 for you and 9 for him…no wonder his fingers are twice as fat as yours! Ha!

O.M.G. said...

i came across your blog via links in other blogs...i love reading about strangers to me, friends to my friends. why i just read ALL of your 100 things is beyond me! i guess i found it all strangely funny & interesting? well, i just had to fess up to you and say "hi".