Friday, February 22, 2008

Another 3-Day Weekend

I'm in the middle of working on other posts but I keep getting side-tracked. Would you believe school children all over Maryland, DC, and Virginia (and the staff at SMCCRC) all get to enjoy yet another snow day?!

Technically, it's a freezing rain day but a day nonetheless, in which I do not need to go into work. Never mind that I have a ton of follow-up calls to complete by the end of the month, not to mention a hefty stack of Spring die cut samples yet to make for new providers. Eh. Cuddling up on the couch in my husband's fleece for a blogging session strikes my fancy a little bit more than interrupting parents who are presently dealing with their kids out of school, only to ask how they might rate our child care referral service! Yes, blogging is much more fun! The Bible is read, the house is clean, and there are leftovers for dinner; any blogger knows what naturally comes next on the list!

I awoke at 5am this morning to check the school closing status of our county. At first St. Mary's didn't make the list. Not even a 2 hour delay! There had been so much hype all week about this treacherous "winter weather" looming across the region that I found it difficult not to get my hopes up. The hype had unfortunately dwindled by last night, so I couldn't assume we would be off today. (Wow, I am so morbid, wishing for dangerously bad weather!) As far as I could tell by looking outside, light rain was all we were getting. Though I realized the unlikeliness of another snow day, I was still disappointed to discover that neighboring Calvert County had closed, but not we. There would be no jumping back in bed for me.

For once Jeromy and I had actually stayed up past 11:00 last night, much later than we normally call it a night. I could have used a few more winks, although I am not one to take naps. Yet I love the fact that it was this culprit, which kept us up! I had made chili for dinner and so we invited company over to share it with us. After our guest left for the evening Jeromy and I spent a few mindless minutes surfing channels on TV, but when we landed on the Weta station I shouted to my husband from the depths of my being, "Stop!!!" And then we didn't move for two whole hours. Now Jeromy's all into it! I figure a girl should get to have her turn, particularly after sitting through every minute of the Lord of the Rings movies. However, since the two of us normally do not stay up past 9pm, we will have to rent us a copy so Jeromy can quit biting his nails in suspenseful wonder of whether Lizzie and Darcy will ever get over themselves and get together! (Is this too freakish, or is this every wife's dream?) He will be quoting lines like the rest of us soon enough! I can see him at work now: "I shall conquer this, I shall!" Sort of a replacement to the Staples' slogan, "That was easy!" However, I don't think I could get used to Jeromy calling me "the handsomest woman of his acquaintance" in public or in private. I may need to restrain his enthusiasm if it gets too out of control!

Back at the ranch...for the purpose of nothing more than rebelling against the realization that I would need to start getting ready for work, I decided to make breakfast and instead continue watching the news and checking the district website. You just never know! I couldn't believe it when I refreshed the screen at 5:30 on the dot to watch the status miraculously change from "Normal" to "Closed". I refreshed the screen a few more times just to be sure I wasn't seeing things. But two minutes later the weather man on the news confirmed the closing. Yippee for icy roads!

I love my job, but I also love days off! I work in a very small office, not even twenty of us. A few of the more middle-aged ladies have - more than once - referred to themselves as the "Pampered Princesses". Now, I have not officially joined their ranks, but I do enjoy a few of the perks!

And on a Friday and non-workout day, too! Oh, they shouldn't have! This meant actual snuggle time in the morning with Jeromy (oh the days before kids!) and even a spontaneous trip to Dunkin' Donuts where we snagged an excellent deal combining coupons with a promotion they are having this week! Plus, the nice cashier allowed me to keep my coupon to use next time and still marked down the price! Whenever does that happen? You would think paying $3.50 for two medium lattes and two donuts would keep anyone permanently out of Starbucks, but these lattes tasted a little too fake for my preference. Yet they served up the necessary latte "fix" and offered the inexpensive novelty of an unexpected early morning coffee date.

Doesn't get much better than that!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Sounds like a nice day! I love those unexpected days off... I could use one.

Leslie Maddox said...

Yes! I love that movie!! One of my favorite lines is "The mode of your declaration merely spared me any concern I might have felt in refusing you, had you behaved in a more gentleman-like manner." Brutal!