Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Little Owl House in the Country











I'm participating in Kelly's home tour this week to cover all rooms because we're just moving into our house and we haven't really made it "our own" yet. But the carnival was just too fun not to participate in at least once! :)

BTW, I am looking for inspiration wherever I can find it - especially for the living room - so I am especially excited to to sneak a peek at everyone's photos this go around! So fun!

















I have yet to write a single post about our new adventure, so I'm sitting here until it's done!

After 2 1/2 years of married life in Southern Maryland, we have just packed up and moved six hours West. (Still, closer to Minnesota!) In March, Jeromy accepted a job in his home state of West Virginia, and we are now finally closing on a house this Friday! For several months Jeromy had been looking into jobs in several states, with no success. We would never have thought to consider West Virginia, what with engineering jobs (or much of any other job, for that matter) normally so sparse out here. Then, lo and behold, a friend from church steered us to a tiny branch of the large company he works for, and here we are.

In the middle of relocation mayhem!

I have to say, it will take some getting used to the slower pace of life in West Virginia. As in the snail. The turtle. A lot of businesses are still considerably old fashioned in their methods and practices. I sense that patience just might become my life lesson from now on!

For instance, today I walked into the post office (which, by the way, reeked of smoke) to get a money order. Once I whipped out my credit/debit card to pay, the little old post lady was like, "Oh, no. We don't take anything but cash or check. We're not computerized."

I was like, "Wha?" And then she pointed to the huge neon colored poster boards on the wall in back of her. (I have no idea how I missed them!)

"Cash/Check Only"

"NO CREDIT CARDS"


"Sorry," she said. We're old fashioned." Those exact words, my friends!

Really.

However, the interstate is not bumper-to-bumper traffic at 6am as is the norm in the DC area. And strangers actually take the time to chit chat! I like that!

And of course, I absolutely love living among rolling hills and distant mountain views! It is annoying to have to pop my ears every day, but that's a small price compared to living along such gorgeous countryside! And the air! The air is so much drier than Southern-Maryland-sticky-peninsula-steam. Can you believe I am actually looking forward to summer weather this year?! I might be the only West Virginia resident ever to dislike sweet tea (don't hate), but be certain I'll be sitting on our back porch sipping a sweet something!

For the last month we have been staying in a hotel in Morgantown, approximately a 45-minute drive to Clarksburg. Not fun. And that's all I'm going to say about that.

We have attended a couple of churches here in town, but the church hunt has really yet to begin in Clarksburg. We look forward to getting involved in a great work and connecting with other believers. The sooner the better!

A couple of weekends ago our hotel got smoked out by a cigarette fire that started outside on the landscaping. Evacuated from our room, we hit up Starbucks to pass the time. As we sat down I noticed a girl crocheting in the seat across from us. I asked her about her project, and throughout the flow of conversation found out we are both Christians. Her husband attends WVU in Morgantown as a law student, although they are from the Clarksburg area. And it turns out the couple is part of a church plant in Fairmont, another neighboring city. Renovate Church meets every other Saturday night, and we are hoping to catch up with them at their next service. What an interesting encounter!

Jeromy is getting situated in his job, but I have yet to find work. There are a few full time positions within Jeromy's company network, but I would really prefer 30 hours or less. And the majority of part time jobs around here involve retail, which I have long proclaimed I would avoid like the plague.

I applied to one position to work with autistic children, which sounded extremely promising! Yet the hourly pay was less than I what made in high school, and included a 25-minute commute to boot. Husband calculated that after fuel and taxes, I would bring home a measly $49 check each week. As neat as the position sounded, there are easier and less time consuming ways to save $49!

So the search continues. We really do live in Podunk, so prospects look grim. But maybe it will just take a little time. Meanwhile, all things "new house" will surely keep my hands from becoming the least bit idle.

So with all that said, welcome to our new home! After seeing more than 25 houses in the Clarksburg/Fairmont areas of West Virginia, we decided to put an offer on the very last one! As first time home buyers, we had no idea what we wanted at the start. If we had purchased a couple years ago we may have considered more of a fixer-upper, but we realized we would really just like to move in and get settled right away. Especially in this buyers market and a state with a cheaper cost of living! But by the time we found this home we had realized what specific things we were looking for - and what we were not looking for.

We looked at several different styles of houses, but we absolutely love our final choice. The only complaint is the lack of a basement. I suppose if that becomes a problem, then it's time to pare down the "stuff"! As for practical storage, we will hopefully add some custom shelving in the future. (Any organization tips are more than welcomed!) This is a new construction, so we are starting from scratch. But for the time being it's more than enough space for us.

We think the front of the house looks like an owl.

















C'mon, you know you know it does. Hoo hoo....
































Some views of our front yard. This really is the country! Especially for this city girl!










































Love, love, love the neighborhood! It's funny, our Realtor actually lives just around the block! We had no idea where she lived until we asked to see this house! I don't know if this will be a good thing or a bad thing, but all in all, she is pretty nice lady!

Also, there is this bluegrass-singing family in our neighborhood - The Vaughns! Check out their tunes on their website! I can't wait to hear them live!
































The foyer and dining room. None of the furniture in this house belongs to us. The contractor staged it with his MIL's stuff. It's going to take some time for us to nicely furnish and decorate this place after living in a simple 2-bedroom apartment for almost 3 years! But we are looking forward to the process...slowly but surely.

At first I wanted to paint right away, but I think now we will wait until we purchase big furniture items like a nicer couch and dining table, to figure out our color palate.

So, I'll be on Craigslist if you need me. :)

















I would like to get a cute bistro table like this one, or perhaps an island with a couple stools. This corner off the kitchen needs something.

















Voila, our galley kitchen! We have ordered black appliances, which are being installed as I type! We thought about stainless steel (or even the stainless "look") but didn't want to have to deal with dents and finger prints. And there are flecks of black in our counter top, so it was just the best choice. Plus, our contractor only gave us $2500 for appliances, and we had none but a microwave, so it saved us from having to spend too much out of our own pocket.





































This is the laundry room, and in the distance you can see the utility room. Additional shelving would be nice here eventually.

















And the living room. I'm definitely not a fan of the furniture choices or placement here. I would like to get a nice couch to divide the room horizontally so there's not as much dead space. At first I thought, we must cover the living room with carpet (it's all I know), but after many comments and opinions of others, I have softened to the prospect of using area rugs. I will need a fairly large area rug to satisfy my preference for coziness, but I'm gaining confidence that this living room will turn out lovely one day.
































I wish I could keep that desk!
































And, of course, the master bedroom. We are ok with the carpet, although we wish we could have picked it out ourselves as we did the appliances. We'll work with it. Owning a matching bedroom suite like this would be so nice, but it's definitely not in our budget!


























































One of two closets in the master, but this one is a walk-in. Definitely could use more shelving here! How in the world am I going to organize shoes and belts until then??

















Master bath with jacuzzi tub. It doesn't have heated jets though.
































Bedrooms 2 and 3.










































Hallway with Jeromy and the inspector. Just outside full bathroom #2.

















Not huge, but it's got everything you'll need! :)




















































A couple views outside the master bedroom window. One of our neighbors has horses!!
































See???

















Backside of the house. The contractor has since built a white railing around the entire porch, which looks beautiful!

















Backyard.

















0.5 acres front and back combined. And it's a FLAT LOT. In West Virginia. That is nearly impossible! We looked at a lot of places with 1-2 acres, but most of the land was a steep grade so we are grateful for this!

However, I will miss living 2 blocks from the nearest (non-convenience) store! Try 15-20 minutes!




I will post updates as we personalize our home. I'm hoping we'll still get a garden going this Spring. There's certainly enough space for one! We're excited to be home owners, even with the maintenance that comes along with it. We can't wait to have people over, so if we know you are you're in the area, let us know! We promise you won't have to sleep on the hard wood floor!

9 comments:

Amanda said...

I love the little owl house and am so excited for you guys! What a HUGE (but awesome) step!!

Leslie Maddox said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Leslie Maddox said...

What a great house! Love the floors. Definitely don't want to cover those up, so area rugs are a great option. An easy way to decorate is to choose neutral colors for big pieces of furniture (like sofas and chairs) as well as the walls. Then you can add other colors with accessories, like rugs, wall art, pillows, curtains, etc. That way it's simple to switch out some colors if you change your mind, and you're happy with your furniture for longer. The one place I've broken this rule is in my husband's study. It's painted blue since that's his favorite color and I told him he could have a room all to himself once we moved into the house. Have fun settling in!

Tara said...

First of all, thank you for visiting my blog and actually commenting! Glad you accepted the challenge.

Second of all, congrats on the move, new house, his new job and stepping out of your comfort zone. We just recently joined our first church together as a couple and family. It is one of the hardest things ever and I recently blogged about it. Wishing you lots of luck.

Btw, now that you mention it, the front of the house does look like an owl. And, I'm kinda fond of your first name.

Heather said...

You have such a pretty house! I loved taking a tour! I love your big yard, I miss mine so much!!

Rachel said...

It does kind of look like an owl! The front of my house looks like a stick man!

Claire said...

What a lovely house! What exciting times!

Cxx

PJ said...

Hi, I hope you don't mind me checking out your blog. I found it from the stats of our website you referenced in your post. My name is John Carnes, and I'm the pastor of renovate, the church plant our friend Kareen Davisson told you about in Starbucks. I just wanted to thank you for mentioning our church in your blog and reinvite you to visit us. Our next public service is this Saturday at 6:30 PM. We would love to meet you and your husband. I hope that you are getting settled in well here in WV. Your new home looks wonderful. Blessings to you!

John Carnes

Celestial said...

Eep, I lose track of your blog for a while and you move! A big move at that. The house looks simply lovely. Wish I could be there to help you set things up and all that jazz. Oh, and I wouldn't be able to resist a few running slides (in socks) on that living room floor.