Sunday, May 11, 2008

Live, Laugh, Love

There's nothing like posting pictures to force you to write something.

Those at the end of this post were taken the evening before my dad passed away (4/19/08). We decided to visit one of our favorite places in the county, Piney Point Lighthouse. Of course, we couldn't have known these would be my dad's last few hours, but what a wonderful way to celebrate his Homegoing!

I have lots of groups of pictures to share; I just hadn't felt the motivation to upload any of them to Blogger until now. But I wanted to express that we still have joy, and that we continue to embrace all the life God is so gracious to give us. I admit that is has been difficult to get back into the "groove" of daily responsibility ever since, well, we found out about my dad's illness back in February. We haven't been eating extremly healthy (though we're working on it), and I haven't been super obsessive about scrubbing floors or ironing shirts. (What in the world?!) For the time being, making it through the week without too much stress is my goal. And I'm good with that right now.

However, Jeromy and I have recently made a point to include some fun activities every few days, which has been therapeutic in many ways. It is so absolutely necessary to take breathers once in a while, to just stop the crazy life and let yourself enjoy.

Last weekend we took the Metro up to D.C. It was actually our first ever "date" in the city, and it was a gorgeous day! The main attraction for the trip was a theatrical production of C.S. Lewis' "Screwtape Letters." The coolest part was the lead role, played by extremely talented Bible-on-CD voice Max McLean. The play was actually a monologue, but included a just as crucial second supporting role; a demon/pet/companion/scribe to Uncle Screwtape. She mainly screeched and snorted throughout the production, yet helped to keep the audience engaged. Especially since Mr. McLean speaks in a very heavy British accent, which I love, but which can be somewhat difficult to understand when spoken so quickly. Every verbal and bodily expression was well crafted, however, as well as the props and the set. All quite creative.

Before and after the show (we are fans of the matinee!), Jeromy and had some time to meander around the city, tour a couple museums, and eat at a really neat place called Teaism where, ironically, I tasted the utmost hellfire and brimstone. I specifically ordered my curry chicken with "mild" peppers, and now I am curious as to what the "hot" curry must be like. Fire-breathing dragon comes to mind. All in all, the jaunt to D.C. was well worth it.

Yesterday I attended a Ladies Spring Tea at church. A few ladies signed up to host a table, for which they brought their pretty china place settings for us to eat off of. Made a girl kind of nervous while carrying a plate to the food table, hoping she wouldn't drop or chip anything! Since I'm not super proactive in seeking out female fellowship, I'm glad I went, and enjoyed some "girl time". And, once you get wind of ultra delicious menu item goodies such as chicken salad croissant-wiches, cranberry-orange scones, and lemon bars, you have no choice but to sign up at once!

And I don't even like tea!

Also yesterday we attended the long anticipated 40th birthday party of our good friend, Joe, (who is pictured in the next post, seated next to Sandy). We were given the pleasure of meeting his parents, who live in the lush and picturesque state of Vermont (of which I want to marry). A few other friends also joined the party, and it turned into an afternoon of great fun and fellowship. It had been raining all weekend (and is still coming down strong) but the rain held off for literally the duration of the party, and that's it! And of course, we ate lots of food. Joe cooked for his guests on his very own birthday - kabobs, no less. Now that's just not right! Especially not right was the fact that I was faced with even more mountains of highly delectable (correction: highly caloric) choices! Oh. My. Goodness. Besides the kabobs there was: chips and dip, strawberries and dip, potato salad, macaroni salad, regular salad, bruschetta (heavenly, btw), cookies, cake, ice cream...

Ahem. It goes without saying that we ate light today.

Next weekend we look forward to treating Joe out to a birthday movie. We're going to see Prince Caspian. It's really more for Jeromy than for Joe, to be honest with you. He finished reading the whole Narnia series a couple months back and has been waiting anxiously for this movie ever since! That means I have less than a week to finish the book. I just started chapter 2. Yeah. We'll see about that.

Watch for more pics (especially from the above events) coming soon! :)
















We had stopped at the A&W on our way to Piney Point that night. My dad would have been jealous.

















Jeromy walking up the beach. I collected a few little white shells!
















Sun starting to set.
















Now that's what I'm talking about!
















Piney Point - the most visited lighthouse by U.S. presidents, no kidding! And the spot where we got engaged March 12, 2006. Thus began the whirlwind of planning a wedding in exactly 5 months! Jer was supposed to take me to the top of the lighthouse to propose, but the caretakers forgot to keep it unlocked. Doh!





















The dock. We've spent many an hour at the water's edge.





















The bell. Ding.
















You can't even muffle it after you ring it. It's stinkin' heavy.
















"No, we can't put this in our living room!"

3 comments:

Amanda said...

Such beautiful pictures -- I'm so glad you guys are making little escapes a priority. It's easy to get lost in grief.

And the ladies tea... I'm so jealous. Our last church used to have a spring tea, and I've hosted a couple of tables. For someone who's not very prissy (me), it was quite a lovely experience.

Also, we got the cookies. They are SO DELICIOUS and we are all enjoying them very much. Thank you, thank you... You are so kind.

Leslie Maddox said...

Aren't dates with your husband wonderful? I still get giddy when I know that it's going to be just me and him. I love him so much. I'm glad that you had such a nice date with your man!

tsh said...

Great shots. Thanks for sharing your adventures with us! -Tim and Marilyn