Monday, February 2, 2009

Precious Moments



I wish I had had a digital camera when I took this shot of Ally back in 2001, but this will have to do.

Poor thing, with a scraped up chin and all!
























This Precious-Moment-in-the-flesh is 9 years old now, which is simply amazing because at one time she weighed just under 2 pounds and could fit in the palm of her daddy's hand.

Ally came during my freshman year of college. After a trampoline accident and surgery to repair my torn ACL and PCL I endured torturous sessions with my physical therapist, Greg. (Ok, so maybe not so torturous, but therapy is never fun!) Midway through my recovery a new therapist greeted me at the hospital, saying Greg had a "family emergency", and that she would now be working with me. It turned out Greg's wife, Heather (also a PT) had gone into labor three months early. Baby Allyson was born in January instead of April.

Greg eventually returned to work and I finished up my therapy sessions. The last day I handed him my contact information and told him I might be available the next Fall if they needed a part time babysitter. And it turns out they did! Ally was 7 months that August I started watching her after classes, with her adjusted age at just 4 months. A preemie. With a colostomy bag. And a nebulizer. I was scared to death! Needless to say, I went up and down the stairs every 5 minutes to check on her during nap time! But she was just the most precious thing I'd ever seen and I absolutely loved my job! We spent many an early Fall afternoon sitting on the porch, talking, singing, and watching the train whistle right by their house. (Makes for a heavy sleeper!)

In spite of serious intestinal problems resulting in numerous surgeries on her tiny body, Ally beat the odds of preemies and grew into a healthy, happy and, as you can see, simply adorable toddler! Just kept getting cuter and sweeter. Now, at age 9, Ally is the most loving, polite, and astoundingly smart 3rd grader! And she has a 5 year old brother, Zach, who is so silly and lovable he could be Elmo!

Ally's family has meant a lot to me over the years. They flew out to Maryland for our wedding in 2006 so Ally could walk the isle as my flower girl! They supported my family during my dad's illness and went to visit us in the care center during those final weeks of his life. Greg and Heather know what it is like to spend difficult weeks at a time in a medical care facility, with both of their children prematurely born. Their tenderness and presence ministered to our family greatly.

I so enjoy keeping in touch with my nanny families! How fun to see children grow up!


(Go check out the other entries for the I Heart Faces contest this week! Theme: "The Eyes Have It!")

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

She is a total sweetie pie and such a tough trooper.

We had a 28 weeker ourselves at a whopping 2 lb 4 oz, and his nickname to this day is 'Trouble'. :) He is such a sweety and tough little boy.

Thanks for sharing the sweet pic and great story.

Unknown said...

What a doll! LOVE her big eyes! I am glad you joined I heart faces. She is beautiful.