Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Oh, Great Pumpkin, where are you?"















Since next Wednesday is the first day of Fall I'd like to throw out a little Autumn anticipation. The leaves have begun to change here in Clarksburg, WV and we've had a few cooler days so as far as I'm concerned, it's already Fall!

Ironically enough, next week we will be in Tampa, FL soaking up the sunshine! Ha! Jeromy has a 3-day conference for work and Miles and I are tagging along and are staying a few extra days! Why not? We never, ever get to go on a real vacation. Whenever we travel it's most always to see family. Which is great - but other than our honeymoon in Seattle and first anniversary in NC/VA/TN we've never taken taken a long trip "just because". So we are so excited. The Florida weather is still super nice in September and there are less tourists - win win! And at 5 1/2 months old, it will be Miles' first airplane ride, so pray for us pleeeaasse! :)

Then in October Miles and I will be traveling to my home state of Minnesota to meet his family for the first time. Jeromy needs to save up more leave so we can go again in the Spring, but that means we get to stay for 2 weeks. And there is no better place on earth to experience Autumn in all its glory (ok, so maybe New England) than Minnesota! I can already taste the Honeycrisp apples!















I so want to be right there right now!


Here are a few of the reasons I relish the Fall season (which I'm sure I'll be adding to!):

cinnamon/spice scented candles
cool weather
hot chili and cornbread (and chili cook-offs!)
candy corn
Autumn store displays
warm apple cider w/ cinnamon sticks
orange, yellow, and red leaves
potlucks and family get-togethers
LESS BUGS!!!
craft festivals (even if you buy nothing but roasted nuts to eat while browsing!)
pumpkin bread
waking up to frost
apple picking outing
anticipating the holiday season (October, November, and December are such festive months!)
curling up by the fireplace in Caribou with a latte and a good book (not like I ever get to go but still!)
hiking in the woods
pressing leaves
baking something in the oven to help warm up the house
cozy sweaters and sweatshirts (and no more displaying my white legs!)
bonfires and s'mores
fresh apple crisp
crunching in the blanket of fallen leaves
creative scarecrows
sweet potatoes
butternut squash soup
crocheting on the couch
Halloween cartoon classics
pumpkin patches (and carving! and seeds! and pie!)
oatmeal raisin cookies
hayrides
stove-top hot chocolate
Fall foliage drives
making caramel apples at home
trick-or-treaters (and getting to dress up and take our baby trick-or-treating this year!)
seasoned oven-roasted root veggies
sleeping in a comfortably cool house curled up in covers
start of Christmas shopping
wearing MITTENS!
corn mazes
browsing Fall magazine issues (chock full of comfort food recipes with tantalizing photos)
orange popcorn balls
lightweight blankets replaced by heavy comforters and quilts
generous table-spreads
kids jumping into piles of raked up leaves (can't wait to do this with Miles!)
wearing out the crock pot

*Feel free to add your own favorites!


4 comments:

megan @ whatmegansmaking said...

I'm so with you on loving Fall! I love baking with apples and cinnamon, and having the cool air and the leaves changing and going apple picking, etc. If only Winter didn't come next... :)

Philwebservices said...

nice post..keep on posting.

Anna said...

Hi Tara,

Thanks for stopping by Cookie Madness and for the tip about not attempting to finish a Sarris sundae. We may visit the factory in June so I'll keep that in mind!

Anonymous said...

Hi Tara, I found your blog threw a link that popped up on my facebook. I love it! I am so adding you to my feed, I hope you will start writing again.