Saturday, February 2, 2008

Dad Update

Thank you all for the prayer support. It is invaluable to us.

The doctors performed surgery on my dad yesterday. His colon burst once they opened him up, due to the tumor blockage and unbelievable pressure, so the doctors had to create not one, but two colostomies, one on each side of his stomach. The cancer is too severe in both his colon and liver and it is too late to remove. He will most likely go through chemo and/or radiation to prolong his life.

My father has always been one to avoid going to the doctor because he either thought whatever he was feeling would "go away" or he was afraid of what they would find. Well here we go. The good news (if there is any) is that, should he have gone in 6 months earlier when the abdominal pain first started, the cancer may have still been almost as severe. In fact, they say he may have had it for two whole years and never knew it! My brother likened colon cancer to a "thief in the night" that forms without much symptom at first. Of course, had my dad received regular physicals, they may have caught it before it became of too much. But we can't look back in regret because he is at this point, and we can't change that.

My dad is very discouraged right now. He thought he was just going to get a colonoscopy a couple days ago to test for thyroid issues and be on his way, and now his life is changed forever. Doctors say that if he hadn't come in he wouldn't have lasted until next Christmas. So that's another praise, I guess. I need to keep that perspective.

This man has already had a rough life, and I just hate to see him go through even more. He is 64 and was planning on retiring in October, but I guess this will push things up a bit. He has always been anxious about money, and has already been voicing concern about paying for the medical bills. Please pray that my dad would just concentrate on living, and trust God to take care of everything else. He needs peace right now. He doesn't need to be dwelling on negative thoughts.

Pray for the rest of my family also, especially my mom. This will be a new life for them and everyone is still in shock. It is crazy how life can throw a curve just like that. Yet this didn't surprise God, and my prayer is that all this will strengthen their faith, and mine.

Jeromy and I leave for Minnesota Monday morning, for a week. I didn't want to use accrued leave time because we had also recently purchased airfare to spend a week in Minnesota at the end of May. Go figure. I do have 3 personal days in addition to annual leave, and I am also allowed leave without pay, and will use both. This will also allow us to keep our plans to go back in May. Time will tell how things will be by then. Hopefully better, in spite of everything.

Pray for God to sustain us during this visit, and that we will have the right words to say and the strength to help out wherever needed.

dad n me

Above: Dad reading one of my favorite Golden Books!
Below: My wedding! (My brother Justin, dad Gary, & mom Linda Nelson with the love birds)

wedding pic

2 comments:

Carrie said...

I don't know you and I'm sure you don't know me, but I found you through Chris Sligh's blog. I normally don't just comment people I don't know, but I felt that through my own experiences I could help you out. My grandpa passed away recently due to cancer at 72 and while he wasn't my father, he was very close to me, like one of my own. There isn't a day that goes by where I don't miss him.

Anyway, he had fought his battle with cancer for six years and even until the very end, he fought and stayed strong.

While prayer helps, you have to realize that no matter what, when God wants you, he will take you. I remember praying constantly for my grandpa -- for a miracle. For him to stay and live. But he suffered immensely. Now, I pray and remember him when he was happy and healthy.

Again, I don't know you but will pray for your father's well being and your family as well. Losing someone to cancer is one of the most horrible things I have ever dealt with and don't wish on anyone. The best advice is to LAUGH. Keep him happy and positive, it's the best medicine and proven to help beat cancer in the long-run. Don't give up faith. It will be hard, trust me, but God wouldn't put things like this on us if he didn't think we could handle them.

I hope this helps.

the johnson crew said...

tara, thank you for the update. we talked to sally fri night after she stopped by the hospital. we have been praying for you and the fam all weekend and God has been constantly been bringing you to our minds. we are praying that God will continue to give you faith and comfort to endure the pain. when i imagine myself in your shoes... it hurts so bad even to imagine. please know we love you and are praying.

janelle

Isaiah 26:3
You keep him in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on you, because he trusts in you.