Sunday, May 30, 2010

Raindrops on Roses and Whiskers on Kittens

I love endearing memes like this. Kelly posted about the simple pleasures in life and I am going to add my list. At least the list of today. Things change, and pleasures change, but it will be fun to record what brings a smile to my face at this stage of life. Hopefully it will bring out more gratitude in me.

I started writing this on 2/3/10 but never published it because I just kept adding to it! I am a list freak so you know I could continue this post for days and days! However, it was written pre-baby so of course now I have a whole slew of new favorite things...little coos, smiles, soft skin, tiny fingers, onesies and pacis.... Definitely another list for another day!!!

But here is my list of favorite things from back in February (in no particular order and certainly non-exhaustive). Oh, and somebody else used this title but it was my original title so I'm keeping it.


a completely clean house, especially the floors (ahhhhh...)

the first sip of a Caribou Lite White Raspberry latte that instantly warms up your insides

spending a couple good hours (at least!) in a used bookstore

the anticipatory scent of brownies baking

watching big, wet flakes of snow fall in the evening

new color of paint on the walls

opening a new CD

spontaneous back rubs from my husband at just the right time!

feeling my baby boy kick and move around and wondering what it will be like to hold him and look into his tiny face

...and when Jeromy feels the baby kick! (SO fun to see him connect!)

holiday candy clearance (I am a total sweets junkie)

leftover night! (AA-double-MEN!)

looking at my wedding ring and still not believing the life God has given me with such a wonderful companion!

washing my face!!! (I love feeling fresh after a long day)

reading Woman's Day or other wholesome chick mag

looking at pictures (or watching videos) over and over on Facebook of my sweet little 2-year-old niece Scarlett. Minnesota is too far away! :(

occasional bowls of kid cereal!

list memes like this (I enjoy introspection)

post-workout endorphins

opening a fresh bag of coffee beans and grinding them at home

shopping at quick and easy Aldi after traipsing around huge, overly crowded, and always dirty Walmart

perusing Craigslist for baby stuff (a new simple pleasure for me but oh. the. deals!)

along those lines...garage sale season and leaving your house bright and early with cash in your pocket, not knowing what you might find

eating chips & salsa at a Mexican restaurant (who needs real food anyway??)

sitting in bed with Jeromy at night reading books (together or separately)

reading "mommy" blogs

combining a sale with a coupon!

an evening thunderstorm

Dunkin' Donut's French crullers (maybe a guilty pleasure? I rarely have them so it's a treat!)

real homemade pizza (except for the sauce, we cheat)

a tall glass of chocolate milk (if I were to have a pregnancy craving, this is it!)

buying a new skein or two of yarn, even when I don't need any

grating fresh Parmesan cheese

laughing at The Office with Jeromy

looking for new recipes

a good long replenishing drink of ice water (I carry my Nalgene bottle everywhere!)

letting myself watch Rachel Ray, Regis & Kelly, or Andy Griffith (whichever is on) while running on the treadmill (the only time the TV is on during the day)

...or watching HGTV or Supernanny episodes on the laptop while ironing (ok, so the puter is always on!)

and to follow, how nice Jeromy looks wearing a shirt & pants I iron for him

going out to eat after church (isn't that always the best?)

updating my Facebook status with something fun or clever that I know I will get a million comments on

the smell of someone in the neighborhood burning leaves

looking into Jeromy's "droopy" eyes (as I call them)

Reese's Pieces, my current favorite candy munchy....and malted milk balls...and Twizzlers...and Twix...and Junior Mints...and Skittles!

getting goosebumps in the shower when the water is extra luxuriously warm

breakfast for dinner

when I find a new Netflix DVD in the mailbox

the evening before a non work day

getting an early start to the morning

a big ol' fat Honeycrisp apple!

drooling over this site. Oh, and this one, too.

classic children's books (dare I admit one of the books I'm reading is a Little House book??)

finishing a to-do list

bologna and cheese sandwich (mostly yuck, but which I haven't had for months since you're not supposed to eat nitrates during pregnancy - you want what you can't have!)

returning home from work to the smell of crock pot chicken

sending a card to someone

a fresh haircut

crisp Autumn air

wearing Mabelline Define-a-Lash mascara (lime green tube). I've gotten compliments!

the process of making cookies (especially the licking the bowl part!)

wearing my fleece around the house (I prefer dressing in layers to blasting the heat)

driving with a full tank of gas

chocolate soft serve (oooooh. Baaaaaby.)

browsing around Target with no shopping list (this is *dangerous*!)

No comments: