Saturday, June 12, 2004

Purpose Driven Life II

I am still working my way through The Purpose Driven Life. I am finding how easy it is for me to get sidetracked to living my life without regard to God. It only takes a difficult situation or any kind of failure to bring me back to where I should be. It is SO reassuring to know that God has given us abilities not to use for ourselves, but to fulfill his unique and heavenly calling for our lives. Some days I feel like I'm just floating on through and life is good. But God doesn't want me to settle with a "good life".

I'm reminded of a new "Mercy Me" song, which says,

"You put me here for a reason / You have a mission for me / You knew my name and You called it / Long before I learned to breathe / Sometimes I feel disappointed / By the way I spend my time / How can I further Your Kingdom / When I'm so wrapped up in mine?
And although I'm living a good life / Can my life be something great? / I have to answer the question before it's too late. / If I give the very best of me / That becomes my legacy / So tell me what am I waiting for? /What am I waiting for?

In a blink of an eye that's when / I'll be closer to You than I've ever been / Time will fly, but until then / I'll embrace every moment I'm given / There's a reason I'm alive for a blink of an eye."

We find fulfillment ONLY in living for and serving God. Back in December I sat down and wrote out a list of things I need to work on (regardless of whether I WANT to work on them or not...that would cut it down big time!) I thought, you know, five or ten character qualities or spiritual areas where I am most week, no big deal. Nope.....43 items later...and counting...I'm going, "God, why don't we just start from scratch! Maybe I'll do better this go around!" But no such luck...so I just kept on writing. The list covered an antire notebook page front and back, margins and all. Then I figured, well, I'm at the end of the page, I've run out of room. I guess that's it! Yeah right! I probably could fill volumes worth of things I need to work on!

I'm certainly glad God tells me "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me" because I fail SO often! I stashed that list away for months...too scared to look at it for fear that I might actually have to DO something! Heaven forbid! LOL But after starting The Purpose Driven Life I forced myself to take it out and study it. That's easy. The hard part is when I wake up tomorrow morning and have to put them into practice!

No comments: