Wednesday, June 9, 2004

President Reagan

Although I don't support any particular political party, I do support those who have been given leadership roles. God is still sovereign through all of that. Shortly after former President Reagan died, I decided to record my thoughts concerning the first president I can remember as a child.

*****

I know everyone has made comments concerning the death of President Reagan, but I thought I would share my thoughts as well. I was deeply touched by the events of last week. Reagan was a great leader...

I got to watch President Reagan's funeral on T.V. yesterday. I saw part of the morning cathedral ceremony (between games of Spongebob Uno and pitching ball to the kids, that is). I saw all of the sunset burial service, which was interesting.

At first I wondered, though--how many tributes does one man need, anyway? My intention is not disrespectful, but my first thought was--SENSATIONALISM. I admit I wondered if a lot of the emotional and repeated news coverage was in light of the upcoming presidential election? I'm sure I'm not the only one who wondered about that. If it's true, it's wrong. I mean, here's Reagan, a good Republican, and he seems to have died just in the nick of time. I'm not trying to be ugly, but ya know? That's how the media works a lot of the time. Maybe it's just me...or maybe it's the fact that Nixon, the last president to pass on before, although it is understandable, he certainly did not receive such tribute as Reagan has.

I was too little to remember a lot about Reagan, other than what I've since read, but I know he contributed plenty to this nation. The end of the Cold War, the anti-communist campaigns for the Soviet Union, etc. He was an honest man with a unique charismatic relationship with the people, which has yet to be duplicated. I guess I have come to the conclusion that, whether or not it was a plug for the Republican party, the tribute he received is the way it is supposed to be! It's all about HONOR and RESPECT, and that's what I saw on T.V. last night. I don't know if you get American reception on T.V. where you are at, but I heard it said that there were a couple Arab stations that aired the ceremonies. Whoever watched will have gotten to see how Americans treat their fallen. It's a powerful statement, nonetheless.

I don't know why it has never hit me before, but watching the military pomp and ceremonial drills during the funeral made me think of what it might be like in heaven. I mean, President Reagan deserved to be saluted and honored, if not for all the good he accomplished on the behalf of this nation and world, but because of his position--who he was; namely, President of the United States of America. That's an honorable title! That means we continued to give respect even to President Clinton, despite his wrongdoings for the very fact that he was the leader of our country! The Bible tells us we need to obey those in authority over us, EVEN if they fail and make poor choices. They have received that authority, and for that reason alone we must obey them.

It's the same way with Almighty God, is it not? Certainly we know that God is holy and just and righteous in all His acts. He never makes mistakes and uses His infinte wisdom and power to carry out His perfect will. We do not have to question His actions. But for the very fact that God is GOD should cause us to fall prostrate to the ground in humble reverence and respect. It is because of WHO HE IS that we must worship Him and offer Him praise. God is the Creator and sustainer of the universe, He is infinite and all-knowing! He is the perfect example of love, and that attribute radiates from the fact that He designed the redemption process even before the creation of those who would reject that plan. Such amazing love in itself is reason enough for worship. A God that is entirely loving and yet entirely just at the same time deserves far more honor than a fallen president could ever receive. Even if God chose to never save a soul, He would still be worthy of honor.

My favorite part of the the ceremonies yesterday was the music. The Army band and the Army choir. It was incredible to hear "Hail to the Chief" and "Amazing Grace" and "Taps" and all the sights and sounds of the cannons and gun shots, the voices, the trumpets, the bag pipes, the perfectly timed steps of the military pall-barers--it just takes your breath away! I mean I got goosebumps from my head to my toes!

That is something all of the servicemen seem to understand better than the rest of us civilians: the true meaning of honor and respect. I was just overcome with the thought that if the band and choir sounds this good here on earth--and for a human national leader--I can hardly fathom what the ceremony will be like in Glory! The great Praise and Worship service in the literal presence of the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords!! I love that old gospel song, "When All of God's Singers Get Home" because it speaks of that amazing fact that ALL of us are crucial voices in the saints' choir. We will ALL get to join in the ultimate tribute to the ultimate Leader. And we will not be wearing black or holding hankies. We will not be paying our respects to the death of a great man...we will be celebrating the awesome greatness of our LIVING Savior! Now THAT will render us breathless!

There was a lot of referencing to the fact that Reagan was a "privately but very deeply religious" man. Both Bush Sr. and Jr. alluded to this, as well as Reagan's son, Michael, who is an openly born-again Christian. (Actually, I caught the tail end of a previously recorded interview between Michael Reagan and Dr. James Dobson yesterday on "Focus On the Family" radio. The recording had to be at least a couple years old.) Anyway, I was taken aback (but probably shouldn't have been) when Reagan's son Ron mentioned that his father "didn't wear his faith on his sleeve the way certain politicians do today." I about had a fit if he weas referring to President Bush! (However, I have just read into his speech too much...but it sounded like a political statement to me.) If Reagan was a Christan, that's great, but if anyone is offended by Bush's outspoken faith, that's their problem. This was a funeral, for goodness sake.... Personally, I would much rather have a man in the oval office who seeks the face of God daily and prays not only for his allies, but for his enemies as well (whether in public OR private, that's not what matters) than one who doesn't. I'd rather have a President who askes for Divine wisdom rather than a President who bases his decisions on his own wisdom and discernment. (I am speaking hypothetically, of course!)

I don't want to get all political now.....but I guess it's too late, huh! LOL Call me bi-partisan, if you like. I believe there are pros and cons with both parties, but quote me on this: I will ALWAYS side with godliness, morality, and integrity!

"I don't know anything about politics...but that's never stopped me from having an opinion..." -Mark Lowry (Isn't that the truth for the majority of the American people?!)

I really enjoyed listening to the eulogies of Reagan's children. I love hearing stories about the TRUE family life of public figures--from the firsthand source. Otherwise you don't know which rumors to believe anymore! A couple years back I read the book of compiled love letters Reagan wrote his wife over the years. He was an extremely deep man. Yet after funerals like that I have to swiftly turn off the T.V. because I tend to cry at just about anything sentimental like that! I have to snap myself back to reality. It IS sad--but life goes on. The important thing is that if Reagan indeed trusted Christ in his lifetime, then what our current president said is true--no longer does he see through a glass darkly, but he is viewing for the first time and with the clearest vision the very face of teh Lamb slain for his redemption. He sees his Savior face to face and is more himself than he has ever been before. It's party time!!!

Can you imagine where this nation would be had Reagan's assassination been successful...if that bullet had inched any closer to his heart and if his funeral had instead been 23 years ago?? Even he himself recognized that he had been spared for God's reasons, and he intended to carry out whatever it was he was called to do. It amazes me how just one single person has the potential for affecting an entire nation--or even world--positively OR negatively. Then I am amazed that such individuals are not limited to those in the presidency or public eye. They include each of us...they include you and me.

When you were little, did your parents ever teach you to give an automatic response to a question they posed, so to show off your "brilliance" whenever in the presence of relatives? Like, they would teach you to spell "Mississippi" even though you couldn't yet read, let alone did you understand what it meant! Or they would make you spew the correct answer to some difficult mathematical question to the pride of your math teacher uncle (and I had one!). Things like that. Well, when I was two years old my dad would always ask me the same two questions whenever we would visit my aunt and uncle. He would say, "Tara, whose favorite food is...peanuts?" to which I'd smile and screech, "JIMMY CARTER!" Then he would say, "Whose favorite food is...jelly beans?" and before he could say the word "beans" I'd belt out, "RONNIE REAGAN!" My aunt, apparently, got a kick out of that. I hardly even remembered it! My dad reminded me last night.

Ya know, we hear the word "hero" a lot these days. "So-and-so" was a hero for overcoming cancer. "So-and-so" was a hero for capturing Sadam Hussein. "So-and-so" was a hero for his bravery on 9-11. "So-and-so was a hero for sacrificing his life on an Iraqi battlefield. What does that word mean, anyway? What does it reflect about a person? Well, after pondering its usage, trying to come up with a definition, a particular Scripture came to mind. Philippians 4:13 says, "I can do all things THROUGH CHRIST who strengthens me." Because empowering strength comes from God, then ultimately, HE gets the glory for any "heroic" act achieved by an individual. So to say somebody is a hero is to say they fulfilled a task they were called to carry out by drawing their strength from God. Otherwise, I suppose, it's just a term of vanity. Who are we but earthen vessels...

Since we have heard from numerous eulogies on Reagan's life, it is clear that his strength lay in the arms of his powerful God. In that vein, we salute him as a hero.

No comments: