Friday, September 4, 2009

Not Your Ordinary Fruit Dip










It's Boo Mama's DipTacular 2009, and I thought I'd participate. At first I didn't think I had anything worthwhile to share. I am all about from-scratch cooking and baking, but my dips usually consist of some or other Tastefully Simple seasoning blend or Hidden Valley Ranch powder. If you have not already mixed ranch dressing powder in your cottage cheese and eaten over Ritz crackers, you have not lived!

My dip to share involves an unusual and at first disturbingly disgusting-sounding ingredient for a sweet fruit dip: Velveeta Cheese.

Don't click the back button - stay with me!

I promise you, the Velveeta is used solely for texture. In fact, Velveeta is not even real cheese; the box says "pasteurized cheese product". So it is absolutely nothing like eating sliced cheddar on apple pie, a concept I find completely revolting.

This is the best fruit dip you will ever, ever consume. Try it before you say you hate it. And if you bring this dip to a potluck function, be prepared with ready-made recipe cards to hand out to all the ravers. They will be skeptical at first, too. (Let's face it, I was!) But like you, they'll also get over it when they taste the yumminess in all it's non-cheese-tasting glory.

Tastes more like coconut because, hey, it's got a can of cream of coconut in it! Try it with strawberries and pineapple. Apples and grapes are good too. Pineapple is my favorite. Can you say, Piña Colada?!?!?

Let me know if you've tried it!


VELVEETA CHEESE FRUIT DIP

8 oz Velveeta, cubed
8 oz cream of coconut (usually comes in cans in the drink mix isle)
8 oz Cool Whip

Blend cubed Velveeta cheese and cream of coconut in blender until smooth. Add cool whip. Chill. Serve with fresh fruit for dipping.

5 comments:

ellen b. said...

What interesting ingredients. I'm going to have to try it because it just sounds so weirdly good :0)
I'm with you on Giada and her cleavage showing a little too much :0)

Amanda said...

Sounds gross, but I like you, si I'll try it. :) I'll let you know whst I think when I do.

Heather said...

This sounds delish!! I have never tried a recipe like this! Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Tara,
I saw a comment you posted on Julie's blog (inmates to playdates) and you mentioned your hubby is from Webster...so is my mom. I live in Morgantown by the way =)

Niki Jolene said...

Wow. That sounds strange. But then again so does cheesecake and that is delicious. I bet I'll make this before the year is out!

:)