Thursday, April 17, 2008

Pragmatism at it's best!

The world has its version of the Golden Rule. You know, "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you." As in Matthew 7:12, Mark 12:31, and Luke 6:31.

Well, I saw this rule in practice today, and it renewed my belief in people's genuine concern for the well being of others!

Um...yeah.

As I was driving northbound along Route 235 to work I watched a patrol car on the southbound road turn around and back into a side street to lie in wait for his prey. Immediately I had this instinct to flash my headlights at the oncoming cars to warn them of their potential fate so they wouldn't get nabbed this early in the morning. But then I decided against it, because I felt it would be cheating.

Just subsequent to this thought I noticed a woman in the vehicle directly behind me start to flash her lights. I mean she flashed every single car for at least the next mile! Part of me was like, "Oh that's so nice. I'd be grateful if I were driving south. There ought to be more citizens like that dear, sweet lady, who look out for their fellow-speeder!"

Because that's what I'd want somebody to do for me.

And then I hated her for making me feel icky, and reset the cruise control.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

Great post, and hilarious sign. I love your writing style...